Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Simple Steering Wheel Cover

I decided after years of using a steering wheel cover I bought in desperation at Walmart that I really should get rid of that thing and make one myself. I searched and searched for a steering wheel cover pattern that I liked and couldn't find one. So I made one up! :D





This is designed to fit a steering wheel with a circumference of 46 inches. If your steering wheel has a different circumference, measure it and knit according to the pattern for 60% of that measurement. With that said, onward to the pattern itself...

*******

Yarn:
2 balls of Peaches & Cream Worsted Weight 100% Cotton Yarn in your choice of colors.
Needles:
Size US 10

Pattern:

Holding two strands together, CO 12 sts.

Knit in garter until long enough to stretch tightly around the steering wheel. (In this case, 28 inches.)

BO.

Sew BO edge to CO edge, being careful that it doesn’t twist.

Sew onto the steering wheel. It will be very tight, and should not require anything else to prevent slipping.

*******

Now, it's true that this is not so easy as some to remove to wash. But if you use a constrasting color yarn to sew it on to your wheel, or you're just really careful, you can cut the string you use to sew it into place and then un-sew it, wash it, and then put it back with a yarn needle and either the same string or a new one. It works for me anyway...

11 comments:

+E t e r n a l.A u t u m n+ said...

now THAT is truly original.. i have NEVER seen one of those!! but I WANT ONE!!!!!!!! in.. ORANGE.. please ^.*

RaeS said...

LOL! Thank you! That can be arranged... There's actually a pumpkin spice and purple ombre yarn over at JoAnn's right now that you might like... Does that sound like something you might be interested in?

Also, I haven't forgotten the mitts you said you wanted at Christmas. I just can't remember what color and what kind of pattern it was that you wanted. I know you were wanting to steal the black ones I made for Susan. Do you want some like that, or a grown up version of the ones I made for Sophie (which might not be possible, but I'll surely try), or something else entirely? Let me know...

Sara said...

Did you find this to be good in the summertime to keep the heat from your hands? I live in Tucson and while cold temps occasionally visit, I use steering wheels covers more to protect from the heat. I like the pattern, though. Simple. :)

RaeS said...

Yes, actually, I've found that it is very effective in the heat of summer, as well as in cold weather. I live in Tampa, which might not get as hot at Tuscon, but it still can get over 100 degrees F in mid-summer, but I go to VA for a few weeks around Christmas, in an area where the daytime highs are usually below freezing that time of year. In the summer, the steering wheel with the cosy still feels very warm on very hot days, but not so skin-searingly hot that the wheel is hard to touch when you have to drive, like it would be if it didn't have a cover. When the car is hot, the wheel remains touchable and grip-able (if that's a word) for safer driving. The cosy is quite thick and I find that the natural cotton fibers don't retain or easily transmit extreme heat or cold.

ShreddieNana said...

I had exactly the same idea! I bought some red cotton yarn and played around with stitches. I settled on 15 stitches per row on 9 (UK) needles, and plain old garter stitch - I wanted something stretchable and not too smooth. I'm only halfway along at the moment, so haven't got a final pic yet. (I also like the sewing-on idea, I think those ties/bows look untidy and messy.)

If this works, I'm going to make two or three, so while I'm washing one, I've always got a clean one ready to put on. More later! :-)

Krista said...

How did you work around the pieces in your steering wheel...I'm looking to make this for a gift, any suggestions.
Krista

RaeS said...

Good luck, ShreddieNana!

Krista - I simply sewed the cover on and when I got to the "spokes" so to speak of the steering wheel, I hid the yarn I was using to sew with in one edge of the piece, then picked up with sewing the edges together when I got past the spokes. It helps the cozy stay firmly in place because it really has no way to shift around on the wheel... I hope this helps you!

Deanne Stewart-Mills said...

what a terrific idea!!! love how this looks. Might have to give it a try. Thanks

Unknown said...

Thank you so much. I just bought a Jeep Wrangler color orange crush. Could not find any wheel cover that I like and decided to make one. Found a yarn that was almost a perfect match. Pattern works great. Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

You say you use 2 balls of wool, what size balls, 100g so 200g in total?

RaeS said...

As the post describes, the recommended yarn is Peaches & Creme Worsted weight 100% cotton yarn. This was chosen for economy, durability, washability, availability, and because the texture is easy on the hands. If a wool yarn is prefered, I would go with a worsted weight, held double. The Peaches & Creme is sold in the U.S. in 70.9g balls, but wool would have a different weight for the same thickness and yardage. Peaches & Creme is sold in 120 yard/109m balls.