Tuesday, July 19, 2005
let's see if I got it right...
If this has worked, two photos of the baby blanket I did for my cousin's new baby should be at the left here (with our messy dinning room in the wide shot). This is the best I can do at the moment. They were taken with my new camera phone. The pattern is a moss stitch border with a ground of a repeated hourglass-cable/eyelet pattern, it measures about 45"x36", and the yarn is 100% worsted weight cotton. It was not my pattern; I'm not that good... yet! (Give me time... hehe.) I found it here. It took one 1 pound cone and one ball of Peaches & Cream 100% cotton yarn in white.
Oh, and I just remembered a few other projects that I've tackled this summer. I knitted a "hobo" bag out of stripes of ripped cotton shirt fabric... It's not completely done because part of it needs to be reworked, but technically it's off my needles. Also, I'm trying to learn how to spin with a drop spindle. If I were truly ambitious, I would get a bit of soapstone and make a Medieval Viking-style spindle whorl and grab a sapling out of the yard to widdle for the shaft, but I'm not really that ambitious, and I bought a modern one from an online supplier along with some ready-to-spin black merino wool. At least, I'm not that ambitious at the moment. I'm sure I'll eventually make a replica and learn to card wool straight from the sheep. I fully believe that an historian should recreate things that the people they study made/did, if at all possible, in order to better understand them and their time. But more on my academic philosophy later... Now, I really need to go to bed.