Saturday, September 30, 2006

More Pokeberries... & other things...

So I was riding my bike down our street today to see if there was any goldenrod in any of the weedy areas... Didn't see any goldenrod, though I'm sure I will see it once the blossoms start blooming... But I did see a Pokeberry bush. It was pushed over and had some other weeds blocking the sight of it from most angles, but it was covered in berries that are just now ripe. Score! So I picked most of them and will go back for the rest in a few days once they've ripened also. I'm letting them sit in the bag in the garage over night to finish ripening and will put them in the freezer in the morning.

I've also got three marigold plants that started flowering again after they've apparently recovered from the late summer heat. They are in fact going completely nutz with flowering... So I may be able to collect enough for dyeing by the time they stop, whenever that will be.

In the meantime, I will continue to look for goldenrod on waysides, in ditches and fields... I'll probably notice them when people start sneezing... (However, not because people are allergic to goldenrod, because apparently most people are not. I just found out that the majority of hay fever attacks in the Fall are caused by ragweed, which blooms at the same time and in the same places as goldenrod. Isn't that interesting?)

No comments: