Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I love that man.

President Obama, you made me cry again.

The only thing I didn't like in that whole speech was the idea of new nuclear power plants in the United States and continuing to perpetuate the lie of so-called "clean coal." We are all aware (or should be) that western Europe is systematically closing all of their nuclear power plants as they replace them with green alternatives because they recognise that the risks of total disaster far outweigh the benefits when geothermal, hydroelectric, wind and solar generated power is so much safer, healthier (for people and the world), more abundant and will eventually be far cheaper than even nuclear power (you know, they have to do something with all that nuclear waste... it doesn't just disappear into the Great Void just because we'd like it to do that...). The "clean coal" lie I have addressed elsewhere and will not go into again, but really people have got to stop repeating this figment of the coal industry's PR people's imaginations. Continuously repeating the lie won't make it any more a reality than telling children about Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy make those imaginary creatures real.

Oh, and the Republicans? Can stuff it.

2 comments:

La Duchesse said...

I have the most profound respect for him. He's actually *trying*, which is more than can be said for some.

Yes. I was a bit grumpy over the clean coal thing (I keep imagining little men with big toothbrushes scrubbing lumps of coal), but I thought the whole thing was excellently written and delivered.

"I, Mr. Harman, worship that man!"

RaeS said...

LOL! The thought of little men with big toothbrushes scrubbing lumps of coal cracks me up! I love that!

He really is trying, bless him, and yes, I'm nothing but respect and love for him. The feeling just makes me want to hug the whole world. *hugs*