Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Pride and Prejudice

Okay... the Keira Knightley "Pride and Prejudice" of 2005 is rife with costume inaccuracies and all kinds of other issues... The almost total lack of corsets of any kind and other costume issues would normally make me twitch and be so annoyed I couldn't watch it but I think I was able to because I was expecting total inaccuracy and one disaster after another long before it was released in theaters, so I had gotten to a point where I could mostly ignore it and let it go by the time I sat down to watch it... Also some scenes never appeared in the book, other scenes are changed in drastic ways... It's not very faithful to time or literature... *but*...

I have to say, yet again, I really enjoy it purely as an escapist movie... The score plays so well against the visuals from beginning to end. And it's photographed in such a lovely way... it's so textured and lit so well. It's pretty to look at... and so is Matt MacFadyen, who plays the immortal Mr. Darcy. Don't get me wrong, I *love* Colin Firth from the much more accurate 1995 A&E mini-series. He *is* and always will be Mr. Darcy in everything he's ever done since then (and not just the Bridget Jones movies)... but Matt has his good points too... like when he comes walking out of the mist at dawn near the end-- Oy! And his little when-no-one-but-the-audience-is-looking moments - they have a tendency to make me squeal with delight.

The movie is a silly, light-hearted, highly inaccurate, romantic bit of fluff... but I defy just about any woman to watch it from beginning to end and not have a silly smile and a sigh on their lips as the closing credits begin to roll...

As I just finished watching it, yet again, on HBO, I just had to say that...

That is all...

No comments: