Tuesday, January 22, 2008

More fiberous stuff...

Yeah, you can tell what's been on my mind lately...

I got a copy of VogueKnitting's Winter '07/'08 issue today... It has hideous sweaters on the cover. But... on the inside they have a lovely set of patterns for shawls and shawl-like things. Also, an article about how to make a Pi-shawl. It is a lovely looking thing... and I think it between the set of patterns (which have a beach theme to them) and the Pi-shawl (which has a very interesting, almost cloak-like shape to it), they have continued to help this pattern I've been thinking of in my head take shape...

I want to do a beach-y shawl... Something that is at least mostly matt, with maybe a little subtle shimmer to it here and there... maybe a linen or linen blended with silk, or... I don't know, I haven't really fallen in love with a yarn for this yet, except to say that I want to use natural fibers. I haven't decided on colors. Do I want to go with the colors of the sea and sky? Or with sand and shell? I'm leaning toward sand and shell I think... so tones of taupe, sand, off-white, light pink, and apricot maybe? Hmm... I don't know...

And there will be fringes, but I'm not sure that they'll all be at the edge, maybe some tied randomly to the body of the shawl. And I want to put sea-glass beads and shells into it somehow. See I want something deliciously beachy, that is cozy and moves in the wind and sparkles in the sunlight... Mmmm, yum!

*******

In other news, I have to say I'm completely shocked and horrified over the news of Heath Ledger's death. He was one of my favorite actors and someone I deeply admired. I'm devastated for his daughter and the rest of his family. My prayers and deepest sympathies are with them.

No comments: