Wednesday, March 26, 2008

it's a small kind of accomplishment...

I'm watching Pride and Prejudice. The A&E mini. I love it. *sighs*

I've also been working on knitting and spinning today.

I've plied the first of the silk/linen roving. I've got approximately 45 yards out of one ounce, 2-ply. If I keep to that rate, I'll get approximately 722 yards out of the pound I've got. Keep in mind that this is at only 8 to 10 wpi... so pretty good really, I think. This is the first time I've ever tried to spin something of a technically "bulky" weight, as well as the first time I've tackled anything other than wool, and it's a bit uneven, which is fine because that's actually kind of what I'm going for here. I wonder, however, how large a shawl I'll be able to make out of it. Big, do you think?

I'm also working on my niece's birthday present. I'll be giving it to my sister early because I want Sophie to be able to wear it as much as possible before she outgrows it, even though she will only be one in August and the size says it's 18 months (it seems to be a bit small as I'm knitting). I'm making this. I'm using Cotton-Ease and getting the gauge, so yay! I get to use up some of my stash! I've altered the stripes too, and will also be making the matching hat. It's in fuchsia and periwinkle blue. I've got the back done and the front perhaps 1/3 done. And I started on it on Sunday afternoon. I think she will be completely precious (not that she's ever not completely precious) in it.

No comments: