Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Spring is here! Yay!

Maybe not technically, but as far as the Florida planting season is concerned, it's Spring. Which means that Joe and I planted the garden last Sunday. I have pictures...

Here's the part that has plants that are already visible.


Tomatoes...

Peppers in the foreground, eggplant in the background...

I've got okra intercropped with all that but it hasn't sprouted yet...

We're still acquiring bricks to line the edges and the paths with.


The rest of the garden has, as I said, already been planted and within a month should have green beans, cucumbers, zucchini and yellow summer squash coming up. We're also going to intercrop that part with radishes (because supposedly they are quite good at distracting certain pests) and lettuce. Also, marigolds along the paths...

And in that pot that you can see in the above off to the right, is this:


It's sort of become my pet collard plant... I planted it in October of 2006 and basically forgot that it was there... I never water it, I don't do anything except ocasionally pick off the lower leaves and it just keeps going... So for now, I'm leaving it just as it is...

In our herb patch, the rosemary, oregano, and chives overwintered, and the mint is just beginning to come back.

We planted basil, tarragon, cilantro and dill to replace what did not overwinter... and we'll be adding more, no doubt as the season goes on...

2 comments:

La Duchesse said...

You're so lucky. It's 35 and windy here, with threat of snow looming over us like an icy version of Damocles' sword. Fortunately, nothing's trying to bloom just yet, but everyone's ready for warmer weather. Including me!

RaeS said...

Well, I hope you get your wish!

35 and windy! Ick!