Friday, August 29, 2008

Figs!

Figs are in season in the south right now, in case you had not yet noticed... and possibly elsewhere for all I know. I love fig preserves. It is yummy stuff. My mom loves it too. So I've been wanting to make some all summer. Our fig tree is still too small to produce more than one or two tiny (but yummy) figs a year, and the figs I tried to bring home from South Carolina were too ripe I think and spoiled in the car during the long, hot trip home. But Publix (the most amazing grocery store in the world, fyi) has these lovely figs, and I saw in the Sunday Publix newspaper flyer that pounds of figs are two for one this week, so I bought two pounds when I was there today...

Been looking for recipes for fig preserves and I think I found one that I like. Vanilla Fig Preserves. I'll be leaving out the vanilla and the liqueur because we don't have any of the later and the former... well, though we have some lovely vanilla beans that our neighbors brought us back from their trip to Tahiti last year, my mom doesn't want me to put it in there. She just wants plain fig preserves. So I might just have to go back to the store, get some more figs and make a second batch for myself so I can try it the way it's supposed to be made (though still minus the liqueur)... Oh, the torture... ;D And at $3.00 a pound (with the two for one deal they've got right now, and they are no where near to running low on figs, let me tell you!), it's a total steal!! Even more so when you consider the price of bought fig preserves, that this recipe makes 11 half-pints of preserves, and that I can't seem to find any in the store that doesn't have high fructose corn syrup added. Yeah. Steal.

I'll probably make this stuff Sunday, unless I get up really early tomorrow (possible, but not entirely likely). I'd do it tonight, but the jars won't be clean until tomorrow. And the afternoon is likely out because my friend Mia and I are going to a Rays game in St. Pete. The game starts at 3:55pm, which means we'll leave Tampa no later than 2:45, and there's a concert by a band that Mia really likes afterward, so we'll be there for a while... But there will be details on how it turns out and possibly also pictures when I make it...

3 comments:

La Duchesse said...

Mom will be jealous. She's tried to get her fig tree to produce fruit, but the season is only long enough for it to fruit... and not ripen.

Y'know.. beanilla.com is having a sale on Tahitian vanilla beans. I got three for a little over two dollars. ;) If the beans aren't a hundred years old, it's definitely worth investigating.

RaeS said...

If it's good (and I can't see how it won't be), I will send you a jar! *nods*

I'll keep that in mind for when I need them. Right now I still have three in the jar from Tahiti. It's pretty neat. The jar is sealed with wax.

La Duchesse said...

Ooooh! Nifty! :D