Thursday, February 23, 2006

Priorities

I've had to be very strict with myself this week. I have an exam on Monday evening, the 27th, which takes top priority. But until Saturday, I'll be working on getting the garden planted. The corn has to be in the ground this weekend or there will be no chance for a decent harvest. I've got the okra, peppers, tomatoes, eggplants, lima beans and cucumbers entirely finished. I've started planting the yellow squash, and I'm just waiting for the zucchini to sprout. I've started them inside this year. The green beans, peanuts, and the rest of the herbs will get planted after that. But the corn has to be in the ground before the end of February come Hell or high water. And we might have to have Joe put in two new sprinkler heads this Saturday so that the corn will get watered like it should. I should have checked on that before I tilled and put the corn plot further out, closer to the back sprinklers because as it is neither the front set nor back set will reach the corn plot. But oh well... we'll get it worked out.

The pear trees, blueberries, blackberries, and apples have all come out of their winter dormancy and are sprouting new leaves. That just leaves the pecans, peaches and persimmon. The figs look like they'll sprout leaves any day now. The banana... I'm still hoping that the freeze didn't nip it. Most of the leaves have turned brown... But there's still green, so I'm still hopeful.

So all serious knitting is on the back-burner until next weekend. My wrists have to be saved for planting and writing. Nearly killed my right wrist last week in class with all the notes I was taking... I think my prof stopped lecturing a little early because I had to start stretching out my hand and wrist, and I know I looked pained... Didn't count how many pages of notes I took, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were close to 50 pages...

No comments: