Thursday, May 04, 2006

The drought

It's official. We're experiencing a drought. The County Commission has issued a request that people stop watering their lawns voluntarily... period, just not water their grass, no matter how bad your lawn looks. They will be meeting May 17th to discuss the possibility of passing mandatory water restrictions to conserve water further if the voluntary measures don't relieve the water shortage problems.

I need to remember to tell dad to stop trying to plant grass plugs in the bare spots out front. Now is totally the wrong time of year to attempt that... I had already told him that, now I have proof to back it up. Maybe this time he'll listen and not plant anymore this weekend. The backyard is almost totally brown and crispy everywhere the sprinklers and soaker hoses don't reach.

Joe mentioned a few weeks back that we should water our grass. I said, "Why? It's not like not watering it will kill it. As soon as it starts raining regularly, it'll all come back. As much as we have to water the garden and flowers, it would be a total waste to try to keep the lawn green too." Joe said he likes grass... He'd just rather not see it all brown and crispy... I understand, but brown grass doesn't bother me a bit. Can you imagine the amount of water we'd need to keep 3/4 of an acre of grass green and lush? I don't even want to think about it. I say, let it fry! It'll be back...

No comments: