Monday, May 22, 2006

Federal Marriage Amendment

It should be no secret that I am against the so-called "Federal Marriage Amendment" proposed by George W. Bush and the Right Wing extremists who support him. I have been asked why I oppose it on several occasions, since I myself am not a lesbian and I have no relatives who are of the GLBT community. I oppose it first on the principle that it is unAmerican and a shame on our souls to purposely write discrimination into the United States Constitution, our most sacred and guiding living document we have the honor to possess as American citizens. By not openly opposing such an amendment, we condone it and it would be as if we had written it ourselves. Second, I oppose it because I know that were I a lesbian, I would want the right to marry whomever I chose. Third, if I had a child who was gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgendered, I would want them to enjoy every right that I and their father enjoyed under the Constitution and government of this most excellent idea of a country. And fourth, I believe as Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and as my religious convictions teach me, that if you deny a right to anyone then the right is guaranteed to no one... No one is safe. It's as simple as that.

http://www.hrc.org/voteno/voteno/video.htm

I urge you to go watch the Anti-FMA video linked above or just go straight to http://www.hrc.org and see what you can do to take action against the Federal Marriage Amendment. It will only take a few minutes to send the e-mails and sign the petitions and it could go a long way to proving to the general public that the FMA is not only an anti-gay amendment but also an anti-American amendment, and not only should it not be supported, it should be openly opposed. Thanks!

No comments: