Thursday, October 12, 2006

More things change, the more they stay the same...

Here is a link to a BBC News article about a 2005 archaeological discovery in England. Apart from being facinated by the idea of naalbinding Roman-style socks (note that I do not know how to naalbind, but I'm very keen to learn eventually because it is a Viking Age craft), I am amused by the letter that was found at Vindolanda... Apparently, no matter whether it's 106 CE or 2006 CE, soldiers still write to their mother's asking for socks...

Someone on the list this was posted to thinks that the pattern on the razor handle looks like its immitating heringbone weave fabric... I suppose that's possible... But at the same time, weren't there naalbind-ed socks being produced in Egypt? I can't seem to find the info online right now... but I could have sworn I read that somewhere before. Assuming that I remember correctly, and with Romans being Romans, I don't know why we should assume that all socks made in Italy had to have been cut cloth, just because no extant socks have been found. If some other culture within their empire had the technology to produce naalbind-ed socks, I'm sure they would have made it their own like they did with everything else...

No comments: